We all have a few family members or friends who still resist recycling. Need a quick list of reasons to help persuade them to get started?
• Recycling creates jobs, leading to a healthy economy. A recent U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) report determined that recycling and reusing are responsible for at least 757,000 American jobs, $36 billion in wages, and $5.5 billion in tax revenues each year.
• Recycling keeps valuable commodities out of landfills, extending the life of landfills and ensuring disposal capacity will be available for our communities.
• Recycling organics, such as yard and food waste, reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
• Recycling reduces the need for newly mined or harvested raw materials, which may reduce costs.
• Recycling conserves energy and reduces pollution.
Surely something in this list will encourage your “resistor” to start recycling!
Photo credit: South_agency | E+ | Getty Images