It’s yard sale season! Time to start digging for “buried treasure” among the piles of discards for sale in your neighbors’ yards or garages.
Not only do these used items cost less than new, but you’ll also be making sure that these treasures are reused, which reduces the amount of trash going to landfills and conserves natural resources used in making new items.
There are some tricks to finding the treasures you want at garage sales. Keep these tips in mind and you’ll be set to score big!
- Bring a backpack or a drawstring bag. You can put money in one pocket, a bottle of water in another, and still have room to store small purchases.
- Open games and puzzles to make sure that they have all their pieces and are in good condition.
- Check DVDs, CDs, and video games for bad scratches.
- Make sure that clothes, such as T-shirts, aren’t ripped or stained.
- Look for books. Often you can find great books for only a few quarters at garage sales.
- Search for craft and hobby supplies.
- Decorate with posters, rugs, and lamps. (Ask to plug in lamps and other electronics to be sure they work.)
- Make an offer. Sometimes, the seller will take less, give you “two for the price of one,” or throw in some extra items.
- Pack up your new treasures carefully and enjoy your finds!
Photo credit: SidharthThakur | iStock | Getty Images Plus