Here we go again! Back to school means back to packing lunch for those who bring from home. Make sure your lunch is waste-free. It’s easy!
You probably already have everything you need in your kitchen. Just follow the steps below.
- Find a reusable bag or box. This might be an insulated lunch bag that keeps things cool, a decorated lunch box, a large plastic container with a lid, or even a canvas bag.
- Check the cabinets for washable, reusable containers. You probably have plenty of these! Just make sure that you have containers with lids that match.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers. Make a sandwich or wrap and put it into a reusable container. Place cut-up veggies, cookies, crackers, or fruit into other washable containers. Not only is this a waste-free lunch, but it will probably save money, too. Buying food in larger quantities is usually cheaper than buying the same amount of food in lots of single-serving containers. Plus there is less packaging waste.
- Fill a reusable bottle or thermos with water, juice, or milk.
- Include silverware and a cloth napkin.
- Enjoy your waste-free lunch. Just remember to wash your containers and you’ll be ready to start again the next day!
Check here for more “green” back to school ideas!
Photo credit: © iStock.com | artisteer