Back to school time means back to packing lunches for many families. Lunch can be a wasteful time of the day. Food scraps and packaging quickly pile up during the lunch period if some thought is not put into the packing.
Lunch doesn’t have to be wasteful. With just a little effort, it can be waste-free! Try these steps. They work just as well for adults who pack a lunch for work.
- Carry a reusable lunch box or lunch bag. Pick one with your favorite characters or colors!
- Buy lunch food in bulk, such as big bags of carrots or the large jars of peanut butter and jelly. Put small portions in reusable containers for the day’s lunch.
- Pack food into reusable, washable containers.
- Make sure to eat all of the food you pack. If you do have leftovers, leave them in the container to eat later at home.
- Take drinks in washable containers or in recyclable bottles.
- Use a sturdy, washable fork or spoon.
- Bring along a cloth napkin instead of paper.
- After school, wash the containers and silverware in hot, soapy water so that they’ll be ready to go the next day!
Be sure to read this post for more “green” back to school ideas.